Discouraging success rates about small businesses litter the Internet, indicating that it’s not easy to start a new business and not for lack of trying. In fact, approximately 543,000 new businesses get started each month in the U.S. Unfortunately, slightly more shut down just months or years after their inception, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.
So how can SMBs ensure that their organization will be one of the 70 percent of new firms that survive beyond two years?
As their telecom partner, you can help these customers avoid falling prey to these statistics by ensuring their businesses shift away from legacy technology in favor of a state-of-the-art business communications system.
The right communications system will provide SMBs with a boost in productivity and functionality, helping to offset the factors that can lead to startup failure. Just like any company, small businesses can experience a myriad of growing pains as they get rolling, from a lack of robust technology and profitability to fierce competition to disgruntled employees. But modern communications software, complete with a feature-rich unified communications (UC) system, will help entrepreneurs overcome these challenges.
A communications system that integrates IT and UC fuels profitability as it becomes possible to incorporate mobility features such as video conferencing, instant messaging, and interactive file sharing that are beneficial for businesses with geographically dispersed locations. The onboarding of UC capabilities enables employees to better communicate and collaborate with each other and their customers, enhancing productivity and their company’s bottom line.
According to Chadwick Martin Bailey research conducted on behalf of Cisco, UC provides the following time savings, among others:
- More-efficient message management has enabled half of user organizations to save up to 20 minutes per employee daily.
- Thanks to voice and video conferencing, over 75 percent of user organizations experience improved productivity of employees across geographically dispersed locations.
- Due to mobile UC, some 67 percent of user organizations report increased mobile worker productivity and faster problem resolution.
SMBs should not underestimate the power of UC features to keep their employees satisfied on the job as the technology allows them to perform at a higher level.
Without access to the best tools, employees will become frustrated in their ability to compete in the marketplace. Already, a majority of employees do use UC applications. Their lives are made simpler and more effective with the use of a single phone number for all their communications, enabling them to receive all customer and colleague messages anytime, anywhere with an Internet connection.
Here is a small sampling of UC features that will enable businesses to perform more efficiently:
- Advanced call forwarding: Forward calls to a variety of devices and ring groups. Your workers can even start a phone call at their desk phone and seamlessly continue the call on their mobile device as they head out the door.
- Unified voicemail box: A single voicemail for multiple communications devices connected to a computer.
- Presence: Allows co-workers and business colleagues to quickly see the best way to contact an individual based on his or her availability setting.
The Small Business Administration’s Office of Advocacy reports that about one-half of all new establishments survive five years or more and about one-third survive 10 years or more. Help your customers be one of the success stories by providing them with a Scalable Cloud Communications system from Star2Star. For more information on our partner program,